View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 09:46 PM

I tend to view it in terms of two different groupings, in-combat and out- roles.

In-combat: Leader, fire-support (GL and/or SAW), maneuver (scout and assault guys), medic. If you have vehicles, then drivers & gunners, obviously. If you have contact with the outside world, then you need radio operators.

Out-of-combat: scout, "face" or negotiator, leader. Again, with vehicles: driver and mechanic. Radio operator, if possible.

You can mix characters, from Column A and Column B. A third column might be who's carrying what gear?

FWIW, when I was in college I found in the library a RAND study on LRRP teams in Vietnam. One of the findings was that 6 was an optimum number of men on a patrol. More than that was too many for the leader to keep track of, and many more were more likely to get caught. Fewer tended to run into problems of fatigue, both from carrying too much stuff and pulling sentry duty too often.