View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 08:18 AM

While there are certainly museums, collectors, and reenactment groups that have tracked armor from both sides still operational, I would thing that the most common armor found outside of federal service in the post TDM T2K would be vintage and surplus (cold war surplus) armored cars belonging in ones and twos to local/county militias. Those don't have the requirements for maintenance and ammunition/main armamment issues that their bigger brothers do and could be fielded and kept in the field with greater effectiveness. Add machine guns or a Mk-19 and go.

A half track or sout car with a couple of machine guns could be all of the difference needed against a biker gang.

I can totally see the federal unit descrbed here (kudos, by the way) working with what passes for local and county militias in the area.

People whenever possible when given no ability/reason to leave an area would attempt to band together to survive. A militia will be as critical to survival in the Orlando area as it is in central Poland. I see law enforcement (active and retired) and veterans, along with your odd soldier home on leave, bading together to forma a municipal militia, which then may be combined to form a larger force across a county. In my county (25mi west of Chicago), the Sheriff has a SWAT team, as do most counties. Larger municipalities have their own. There are American Legion and VFW groups is just about every town in America. I can see these individuals banding together with whatever law enforcement assets remain. Refugees allowed into the area that can be used as manpower will be trained by those with experience. Some of this will arise out of a sense of duty, some from necessity.

You really never know who lives down the street from you sometimes....a lot of Vets don't do the VFW-Legion thing and exist in annonimity. The guy next door to me served in Thailand with the USAF in Vietnam, the son of the lady on the other side of him is an Afghanistan Vet...Army MOS 11-Bravo.

-Dave