View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
Having seen three movies based upon the book "I Am Legend", I must respectfully disagree that the Will Smith movie is the best adaptation.
While it's better than "The Omega Man", it's far too concerned with silly and in some cases utterly stupid, action scenes to portray the story well although I will give some credit to Will Smith in that the scenes where he starts to lose his sanity are well done.
In my opinion, the best version was the Vincent Price movie "The Last Man On Earth". While it suffers a little from having been made cheaply (filmed in Italy rather than the US and filmed in B&W rather than colour even though it was made in the early 1960s) it remains far closer to the book than any of the later movies. It remains a drama, like the book, rather than trying to be a horror/action flick like the later movies.
Uhhhh...me, too! I have to agree with SSC's choice for the best adaptation--both I Am Legend and Omega Man changed the resolution, Omega Man somewhat, but IAL completely lost the whole point of the story--the Changed are now civilization and the "hero" is a monster in their estimation and must be destroyed.