View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 07:37 PM

I've been looking at travel move recently while looking at adapting another game's rules for technicals, and came up with a rough idea of how to estimate Tr Mov using a vehicle's top speed and (Traveller) tech level, since there's an obvious discounting of the top speed across all the late-era GDW games. It increases with each tech level as vehicles become more reliable and better able to handle minor problems.

I start with TL 4 (1900) vehicles having Tr Mov of based on half (0.5) of their top speed being the long-term travel rate. (note: this is what I use for my Vespers War WW1 vehicles).

TL 5 (1930) vehicles base their Tr Mov on 0.6x their top speed.

TL 6 (1950) vehicles can use 0.7x their top speed.

TL 7 (1970) vehicles can use 0.75x their top speed.

TL 8 (1990) vehicles can use 0.8x their top speed.

TL 9 (2000) vehicles can use 0.85x their top speed, and are the last TL potentially relevant for canon T2K.

As far as pushing it goes, I'd allow a Difficult roll to allow them to add 0.1x top speed to their Tr Mov, and a Formidable roll to add 0.25x, up to their top speed. Failures would mean a mishap along the way as per pushing Com Mv. You're just not going to be able to push a 1930s sedan to its top speed for four hours straight without something going wrong, but you might be able to eke out 85% of its top speed if you're lucky.

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.