View Single Post
Old 10-04-2008, 11:33 PM
bigehauser

Default Sorry To Get Further Off Topic

To go a little more off topic, but still have context with the original post, I am a radio man in the US Army. I have not actually done my job in a tactical environment as of late, but I will say this. Short distance, tactical radios have gotten better by leaps and bounds. So much so that there doesn't even need to be an RTO standing next to a squad leader, or does there?

The problem with having outstanding small, portable, ultra high speed radios like the MBITR (link to official sale points sheet), or a prick 152 is that it tempts the chain of command to no longer assign another man to be next to a leader and hold onto the radio. In THEORY, this could be great as a leader now is just a literal push of a button away from his higher ups.

HOWEVER, in any combat operation, ESPECIALLY the deadly urban environment, a squad leader would have to, if having his hands on the radio himself, take his mind off the situation at hand-his eyes too- get on his radio, ensure it is good for transmitting, then talk to whomever. The problems with that are obvious. His reaction time to receiving contact, or something else is greatly hindered.

That is just something I wanted to add concerning comms, and radio equipment. In today's world, comms are easy to establish, but they don't always stay that way.