View Single Post
Old 12-13-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
You guys tell me. I'm embarrassed to admit that, after all of these years of very involved fandom, I don't know, and haven't bothered to check, whether Tucson was on the T2k nuclear target list!

I was at the University of Arizona (Tucson) from '93-'98. Would there have been a college deferment in the draft? Would it have been dropped before the TDM?

I've been fascinated by war since I was a kid, but I'm not sure I would have volunteered (I didn't after 9-11, even though I was in my mid-20s at the time).

So, I either get drafted and probably get KIA/WIA/POW or I stay in school and, if Tucson is nuked, I'm dead. If Tucson isn't nuked, I probably wouldn't survive long in the desert without power or reliable safe drinking water.

-
No AZ nuke targets in T2K canon, but ~~Tucson was definitely overrun by the Mexicans.~~ Edited - not definitely overrun by the Mexican army. The Mexicans pushed into southern Arizona but no mention of Tucson proper in the Challenge article detailing the invasion and the focus was on Socal not Az.

Az grows enough wheat and corn to feed about 3 million people, you might be able to eek out another million in the rest of the ag sector. There were about 4.5 million people there in 1997, so Az wouldn't be too bad off until the drought hits, then it's Mad Max time.

Last edited by castlebravo92; 12-14-2022 at 06:16 AM.