View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 07:15 AM

Arrow Campaign Style: Munchkins Vs. Realism

I thought a little debate on the subject would be a good move to clarify what everybody thinks here .I have a slight sensation of things slipping in the direction of munchkin land in some respects and feel a need to thighten up a bit .

I am of course talking about the possibility players have to go over the top when arming themselves etc .

I know the GM has the last word but input is always appreciated.So spill your beans and we will compare notes .

I for one feel that " realism " in the sense that what is practical in real life is also the guidelines for what can be done in-game , is important .

By this I mean that bringing too many guns,too big guns and even bigger guns as well as being armoured solid like a human apc isnt conducive to a great gaming experience .

I guess in some instances I have allowed munchkinesque or just plain outrageous munchkinism to take place .

This is mainly due to the fact that sometimes the ritual "reading through the equipment list for the mission before you go" has been neglected .Also the element of trust between GM and players that entails no player adding too much stuff on the list effects the situation .(many times this has been done to save time and cut to the chase so to speak -but I never meant for things to get out of hand in this department )

I plan to make sure that equipment lists are checked for "errata" before every operation in the future .I also rely on the players to chip in and adhere to the standards themselves in respect to the equipment list etc .

This especially comes in as a must when PCs are on the move and movement needs to be calculated .

As the equipment list is being checked by GM and player ,the player MUST state wether or not he believes himself to be encumbered /impeded with regards to
-the weight he is carrying
-his armour
-his multitude of weapons with which he has armed.

Also remembering these movement stats troughout the session will be PLAYER RESPONSIBILITY and justice will be harsh on the forgetful .

( GM CPU can get a bit taxed sometimes and keeping all of these variables in my head at the sametime will inevitably lead to melt down ).

I am not saying that players cannot equip PC with antimaterial rifle,
EOD-style kevlar and steel plated armour ,backpack with 50 kg ammo and explosives and other weapons as well as 5-6 assorted firearms .

But I am saying that when we are bent over the map ,pencils in hand and calculating the movement etc to mark the PC in his new position ,he needs to be there himself with his pencil and pointing out that due to his gear he will only move 5 meters that phase at full tilt .I cannot help forgetting and using default movement rates sometimes.

The same applies to completion of tasks like jumping a fence or whatever - the player needs to state his or hers impediments to the GM at the same time he declares his move .

This way those who want the real world practicality can have that and those who prefer not so practical solutions can try these and see how it goes .

Give me feedback people .

Last edited by headquarters; 02-18-2009 at 07:31 AM.