View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 03:08 PM

Default SCORE: Shipping COntainer Rapid Emplacement

After I started playing Morrow Project I realized that a lot of the bolt holes were in overly complicated locations that required extensive cover stories for their construction. Since the simpler bolt-holes and supply caches were simply concrete boxes buried underground, why not simply use ready made boxes? Thus the SCORE idea.

The idea also lends itself well to an emergency emplacement. I based my last game with characters being emplaced in 2010, when a cold war with China loomed. Morrow Project was re-activated in a matter of months and forced to rapidly re-deploy old members and young recruits. Old bolt-holes were nearly impossible, so shipping containers were retrofitted for the job and deployed using the simplest methods possible, with little to no special equipment needed and small construction teams.

Pre-emplacement work is simply a big trench which is easily explained and easy to make with commonly available earth moving equipment. The power cell would be buried adjacent to or under the trench. A small recon team and gear would fit into one large semi-trailer, which could be slid into the trench, fitted with a simple hollow wedge (vehicle ramp complete with powered doors) at one end and a concrete escape tunnel at the other. Larger teams with more personnel and equipment would simply mean a longer or wider trench for an additional trailer. The whole assembly is then covered liberally in poured concrete and then dirt. Supply Caches would be much the same, with a smaller container.

Emplacement would take as little as a day, anywhere a trench could be dug.

The containers themselves would be welded stainless steel coated in epoxy and painted to match a common trucking company. Inside, the innermost end would be metal racks, cryo-tubes on the bottom with equipment overhead. Cramped of course. Far end facing the doors would be the team vehicle and any other gear.