Thread: HAAM suits.
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin798 View Post
I only list that as one constraint. Myomeric polymers would have been bleeding edge technology. Even if they use cheap materials, it is exceedingly likely that there would be a correspondingly high failure rate with only a small percentage usable in a HAAM suit.

Ultimately, it is likely to be a case where the military sees this materiel at being too valuable to not have oversight in the manufacturing. You can only mark so many nearly complete components as bad and save them from destruction before the military gets suspicious.
I guess I have two issues:

First, if HAAM suits were available for the 1989 load in, then even without any further technological advances there should be a ton of these just based on their utility. Even if they were originally military prototypes, by the time of the 2017 load in there should be a Morrow-only production line churning these out by the thousands! They may be expensive and difficult to build, but they are so unbelievably useful, especially in the post-apocalyptic environment, that the Project would be foolish not to issue them far and wide.

Second, HAAM suits are a transformational technology for anyone. Can you imagine what the US military could do with one of these attached to every rifle squad? If the US military had the ability to make this it would make the early-20th-century focus on tank development look slow and inconsequential. So why aren't there 20 different HAAM designs that the Project has to face? Plus the inevitable Russian and Chinese knock-offs, and the civilian recreational or industrial models?

The HAAM suit is cool, but tremendously inconsistent with the world it is claiming to be a part of.