Thread: Got AvGas?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus
Welcome, Turboswede.

To address your question, in terms of game mechanics, the game designers wanted to make travel as difficult as possible. If the PCs could just jump on board a Blackhawk, escaping from Kalisz (or wherever) wouldn't be much of a challenge.
I totally understand the reason for the rule, and it let them leave out rules for air strikes and air-to-air combat. The use of the terms “high octane” and Avgas in relation to gas turbines just always bugged me. My understanding is that one of the benefits of gas turbines in aircraft is that JP-4 is far less flammable than Avgas and is much safer as well. I am not a chemist, but I would think converting a turbine to run on Methanol would be easier than converting a 95’ Dodge Ram.

I always thought a better reason (and the one I used in my campaigns) would be the scarsity of aircraft. If you assume that the US industrial base is gone (or extremely damaged) after 1997, the ability to refine aluminum, let alone build an entire aircraft, goes away. In WWII the Germans managed to continue aircraft production all the way until the end, but I think that Soviet..err…um...Russian strategic weapons would be much more effective than the US and British bombing campaign of the 2nd world war.

In addition, the use of tactical nukes against airbases would knock most of the staging areas for fixed wing NATO aircraft.