View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkated View Post
You can adjust range by adjusting the height at which you release the sling.

I have seen (pictures of trebuchets) with marks on the supports for the sling arm - lowest = max range, other marks for less range. You adjust the length of the rope used to pull the sling arm down until it matches the angle for the desired range.

These are, of course, crude increments, as trebs are fairly inaccurate weapons compared to cannon from 1600 on - the tossed load is inconsistent in shape and weight, and each trebuchet will be a bit different even if produced in a consistent pattern - material used, age, current weather, and measurements used.

But for T2K or TNE, you can handle that by raising the difficulty of a shot based on the target size.

"Hit the east wall of town or something behind it" may not be difficult once the range is determined may not be too difficult.

"Hit the VW bug parked outside the town gate" may take a long while...

Uncle Ted
Yes, although sling adjustments are (necessarily) limited by the lengths of sling that you have. The 90-110% was intended to cover sling adjustments and the like, though I'll admit it was a wild guess because there's not much information on how much they could vary range without changing ballast weights.

swaghauler - Watts' work on his in-swinger was a big influence on some of the suggestions I made to adjusting torsion engines on the Citizens of the Imperium board. Once he has an engine that can reliably perform to his objectives, I'd love to see it tested for things like penetration at range to see what it would do.