Thread: Alcohol
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 07:23 PM

Default Alcohol

This might have already been address, but with the recent talk about fuel in XI Corps, and Whiskey etc I think it's time to drag it up again. I have a serious question as to the production of alcohol for fuel in T2K. Not so much in making it, but the amounts that are necessary. Where do they get the feed stock? It's assumed they use grains or other starchy vegetation (think spuds) for it, or wood for methanol. But with a MAJOR food shortage, and problems in the post strike timeline to produce enough for people, WHO would turn grain into fuel??? Yes the distiller's grain (what's left after distillation) is high protien and can be/is fed to livestock, I just ponder the concept as something next to criminal.. And turning wood into wood alcohol (methanol) is in the same boat IMO. It takes much longer to 'ferment' the cellulose into alcohol.

We discussed biodiesel, but even that is questionable as the labor put into raising oil crops (rapeseed/canola, sunflowers, soybeans) for oil would be better spent in food production. Land is not the problem, nor really is the labor pool, but seed for the production is. If we talk corn, which is the heavy yielder, even at the lower yields after the strikes, will be a problem until the hybrids can be turned back into open-pollinated... Yes there is some seed available, but it being a fighting game it is never addressed.

Enough rambling. Ideas??