View Single Post
Old 09-23-2022, 08:15 AM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawest View Post
now you have me wondering what this AU's amphibious assault ship Makin Island is going to be. LHD-8 was not laid down until 2004. this can be so many things, that i might lose sleep over this just waiting.
I'll have more on Makin Island; it is indeed LHD-8. As part of the US industrial mobilization, shipbuilding contracts are accelerated. Here is the last US Navy shipbuilding plan prior to the post-Cold War defense drawdown; the plan was for a dozen LHDs, probably one every other year after LHD-1 and -2 in the late 80s/early 90s. To speed things up, contracts for LHD-7 and LHD-8 are awarded to two shipyards in Texas that have the space to build something that big and complex, yards that in peacetime build offshore oil rigs. As you will see in coming updates, things don't work out so well...
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...