View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 02:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
While I think that it is perfectly reasonable to have New Zealand join Australia in some kind of federation I have to point out that

a) New Zealand would not accept that new nation formed from both Australia and New Zealand being named "Australia" (Australasia or Oceania would probably be acceptable) even if it is 300 years from now; New Zealand is a very proud nation and under the Treaty of Waitangi the indigenous Maori people have special rights so neither the white (Pakeha) nor Maori sections of the population would accept being absorbed directly into Australia.

b) If Canada is still a constitutional monarchy in T2300 Australia would probably be too (especially if New Zealand was part of an Australasian Federation) as NZ is fiercely monarchist.

Obviously you can take or leave my opinions on these matters but as a citizen of both Australia and New Zealand I feel I'm qualified to offer an opinion
Thanks Targan...

Australia and New Zealand are monarchist... just not with the British Monarchy as head of state. they have their own! During the Twilight War, and the war of British Reunification that saw a decidedly anti-monarchist Labor Party Prime Minister damn near exterminating the Royal family... Prince Andrew's daughters were sent to Australia and New Zealand for their safety. And both nations rallied around THEIR Royals and supported the legal British Government during the three year campaign to return the British Armies of the Rhine and Danube back to the British Isles.

The story of how the two become the Federal Republic of Australia is long and drawn out... but it's part of the story of how the greening of outback happened as well. The outback has numerous freshwater lakes and 'inland seas' created... that turned Australia into a breadbaskets nation.
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.