View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 09:38 PM

NOBODY is saying Chico and the DC group aren't doing good work. They have produced some damn fine stuff and they should certainly keep at it.

The problem seems to lie with those who feel canon, in any of it's published variants (1.0, 2.0/.2, 2013) isn't relevant and should "officially" (for lack of a better word) be changed to fit their own perceptions. These changes are fine for those involved, but the apparent attitude of some of these people to want to force the alterations upon others, is totally unacceptable in my view.

And so back to my core point. We have a set, published timeline of events. It doesn't match up with reality, but it's not supposed to.
Those wishing to make changes should most certainly feel free to do so, but they should identify such as what it is - an alternate view.

Now, as to PCs changing the world, I really don't see that as a problem at all. To me, anything that occurs in a game is perfectly fine, and in fact should be encouraged. Canon really only covers up until the dates in the relevant published reference books (July 2000 for the early books, mid 2001 for most of the US settings).

If there was no hope of altering the situations in the published materials, then what would be the point of playing the game? My arguement goes more towards those wanting to change the past rather than the future.

To summarise:
Expansion of canon = good
Wholesale alteration calling changes canon = bad

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem