View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

part 2 of Law's work on the USMC in CENTCOM:

Units Attached to I MEF

US NAVY

Fleet Hospital 3 (300 Men)

This Unit maintains the large hospital inside Bandar Abbas and has a large aid station that supports the division assets on security duty outside the city.

1st Naval Construction Regiment (500 Men)

Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 17 (200 Men)
Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 18 (200 Men)
Naval Construction Force Support Unit 2 (100 Men)

This unit provides construction support to the MEF. It has been with the MEF from the start of the war and is currently doing tasks for the MEF commander. 17th Bn is doing road construction in and around the Bandar Abbas sector. 18 Bn is working on the water system to insure fresh water and sewage is maintained in the sector. Support unit 2 is doing work on the natural gas powered power plant.

Department of State

American Foreign Legion (230)

1st Infantry Co Foreign Legion (150 Men)
1st Cavalry Squadron (80 Men)

This motley collection of Americans and foreign born personnel work directly for the US consul in Bandar Abbas and do missions for the US government that the military cannot do due to political ramifications .They have free pass through the area and most of the Marines know them as a unit by sight. The 150 infantry do deep penetration missions and do security at the consul’s building.They are equipped with an odd assortment of jeeps, land rovers and civilian 4x4 pickups.All vehicles have machineguns or 106mm recoiless rifles mounted on them. The cavalry is self sustained on over 100 acres of cleared land out side the consular office. You can find any type of man and nationality here. One of the most loyal units ever seen to themselves and the thought of the USA. Most me have there families and extended families living in the area of the consular complex of buildings. The commanding officer of the Legion is a Ex- US Army Major Thadious Rhodes. Rhodes graduated from west point and did 6 years active duty in the infantry field and got out to work for his fathers oil rig construction building company. He stayed in the reserves for 4 more years in a combat engineer unit and was promoted to the rank of major. He had been out 5 years when the war started and now finds himself running the legion. The company commanders are also a colorful bunch . The commanding officer of The cavalry unit is an ex-polish cavalry officer Aron Brocz who runs a tight group. The Infantry is commanded by a Ex-Infantry officer with the Swedish army who is a self styled viking. He goes by Thor Fridriksson. Both men have the rank of Captain.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...