View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 03:03 PM

Default Objekt 279: 60 tons tanking toward you on 4 sets of treads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
I think the biggest problem with Object 279 is that there wasn't enough technical info available to calculate some of the game data even a few years ago but now that there is enough info, it's recognized as being a dead end for tank design.
However I'd still like to see it given some game stats
I found a number of pages, mostly in Russian, and came up with the attached via my magic spreadsheet.

The fuel tanks area a guess based on doubling the size of the internal tank, one in the rectangular chassis pieces between each pair of tracks (consumption seems about right). The gun is a guess based on existing guns (though I forgot to look at the SU-130, though that was not real either).

It would have done well driving across the open steppe covered in snow or (mild) mud, but God help it if it needed to maneuver - say turn a street corner or follow a curvy forested trail...

The fun part was that after they started testing the tank, Nikita Khrushchev cancelled all Soviet heavy tank development, limiting them to tanks weighing 37 tons. Why? Because otherwise, the Soviets would have to spend too much to rebuild roads and bridges (and probably railroads and rail bridges) to be able to transport them, much less produce them in the first place.

It does look futuristic, though.

Uncle Ted
Attached Files
File Type: docx Tank_Obj279.docx (62.5 KB, 270 views)