View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsofian View Post
This brings up some interesting points. I think there is a couple of things here that are worth noting. First, the 3-5 year period is going to mean lots of people who survived the initial few days of war are going to succumb to all sorts of things. The folks the characters encounter will already be making it on their own, they don't need to be spoon fed for six months. They do need to be brought back to a higher level of social organization and technological sophistication, not be coached through basic survival issues.

Second, the 3-5 year period means a ton of supplies will be still laying around from the prewar days. In my idea of the backstory, the Project Planners did a maxi-min study to see when population would start to stabilize and the remains of material civilization would decay and tried to find a sweet spot where people were starting to do better and lots of stuff still survives.
Hmm, trying to provide support for a survivor community...

If you use the canon cache lists, humanitarian assistance is quite literally, a few bags of seeds, a scratch plow, a couple of boxes of textbooks and a box of tools. It's not until you see the supply lists for Delta Base and Fallback that you start to see some consideration of what is needed. And that list barely scratches the surface!

Would a survivor community need food stocks, possibly, depending on weather conditons, better plan on humanitarian rations, infant food, radiation-resistant seed stock, insecticides, fertilizers, farming tools, parts to repair agriculture machinery, and so on. Would medical supplies be useful? Everything from medical kits, to X-Ray machines, to surgical suites. Building supplies, maybe not lumber or bricks, but a powered saw mill? As you can see, the possible lists are long.

Every pallet of material the Project begs, borrows, steals, or purchases would still be not enough. We are not talking tons of supplies, but rather millions of tons of supplies, and the machinery to build factories to build more supplies. It goes on and on.

This is why, in my opinion, the Project spends trillions in building an infrastructure that has to rebuild civilization.

I'm trying to get my greedy little paws on some of the lists of humanitarian supplies that are sent on disaster relief efforts, when and as I acquire these, I'll post here, it really is interesting reading!