View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 02:18 AM

I'd certainly second the recommendation for Sam Adams beer (although I'd say it was closer to IPA than lager).

The rough bottom to create effervesence has been around at least twelve years in Europe (I think it was Kronenbourg who introduced into British pint glasses in around 97/98 - you can tell which geek used to work for a beer company 10 years ago). The idea arose because it was found that bubbles formed around minute specks of dirt on the inside of the glass (if you find your beer has "big" bubbles forming on the side of the glass it's an indicator the glass isn't as clean as it should be) and was adapted from that.

My personal faves include Leffe Blonde (perfect to refresh the palate after a tough day's wine tasting) and Deuchars - both Heavy and IPA. Some of those fruit flavoured Belgian beers are fun to get into and try....but creep up on you as they don't taste alcoholic.

I wound up sending one of those Russians food parcels (he had commented how hard it was to find candy for his kids) for a few months - I remember them all being fascinated that I could have a "second home" and not be "rich" or need a licence.