Thread: Akmr
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 06:46 AM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

With the current price of surplus 7N6 on the American domestic market, I'll see occasional gun board threads on the feasibility of producing a 5.45x39mm bolt-action rifle (there is the SSG 82, but it's as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth and uses a proprietary optics mount). The best idea I've seen from gunsmiths who're consulted seems to be that the ideal starting platform would be a CZ 527 in 7.62x39mm, but the combination of re-barreling and reworking the bolt face would at least double the price of the rifle. Now, that's an off-the-cuff figure for limited-run custom work, but I have no reason to doubt these guys, particularly the AK smiths who already work with both calibers on a daily basis. Point is, it would not be just a barrel swap.

More data.

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson