Thread: FARMING in T2K
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 11:24 AM

The table of yields, not the field crops, has some information on yields of various fruit and nut trees. I would cut the production considerable from what I have on the list. It was intensive management, or so they said.

Any of the fruits are very climate sensative. A late hard frost in spring will take out an entire crop before it gets started. Even the hardiest of the varieties are still prone to abnormal temperatures, and all are suseptable to drooughty conditions.

Acorns and wild foods I have not addressed, however in a good or better year an acorn tree will drop 100 pounds or more. Making flour from acorns is 'relativel' easy. Just grind them and leach them in several changes of water to remove most of the tannin. Indians supplemented their diets with it and it was even the main source for some tribes. It also makes good hog and deer feed in addition to the tree rat and other smaller critters. You can tell a good year they say in the rack of the deer... don't ask me other than it is nurtrition driven.

There is also amaranth (sp?) which is a cereal type crop. Though originally wild (hummmmmmmm come to think of it ALL the domestics were at one time duhhhhh) it has come under cultivation is some places amoung BTL folks. It is still found in the wilds though.

Wild fruits generally do not produce what domestic does under care. There are wild plums, apples (crabapples), grapes, and all sorts of nuts other than acorns. Just check the per plant yields and adjust the yields down by fifty percent or so. It's all a throw of the die in a game as it is luck in RL. There are good years and bad years. Averages are misleading. ALWAYS look at statistics with a grain of salt, and never trust them unless ther is an LSD listed (learned from regression analysis)

(Lesson Learned: Did the rainfall average for TAMU Ag Research Station Beeville several years ago. Used data for 100 years. Before I started my lead scientist (Boss) told me we were under perpetual drought with intermitent floods... laugh, but it is true. September average at the station was ~3", not a bad rain fall average you say? FIVE years with ZERO rain, and ONE year with 18" (read as tropical storm/hurricane) give an AVERAGE of 3"! )

Hope I answered at least part of the question before I got carried away with tales.

Grae