View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
While my interest has typically been the Cold War era, some of the early Jane's Infantry Weapons yearbooks still listed some of the equipment from previous decades (usually if it was still in general use when the yearbook was compiled).
I also have some Brassey's books that might cover the same weapons but I'm not so sure of those (I haven't checked them for some time!)
I can't say if any of them have the information you're looking for but I'll check through the yearbooks I have and report back if I find anything useful.
Thank you. I have a copy of Anthony Saunders' Weapons of the Trench War 1914-1918 that's been helpful with a lot of information, but it's occasionally sketchy on technical detail, along with an online copy of Major Graham Ainslie's 1917 Hand Grenades, but for most of the British grenades he only lists the total weight and the type of filler, with no mention of filler weight. And, as a British publication during the war, he's aware of German grenades but doesn't have much information on them.

I did, however, find a 1909 Scientific American that refers to Hales' new grenade having 4 ounces of filler. Given the date, that would be the No 2, so that one's answered.

Unfortunately, I don't have Rick Landers' Grenade: British and Commonwealth Hand and Rifle Grenades, and it's apparently quite rare on this side of the pond. And as far as I can tell, English-language publications about grenades from non-English-speaking countries simply don't exist.

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.