View Single Post
Old 02-24-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
To each their own but I personally would not go the way described in canon. There's plenty of other ways to mess with the Players and their characters during the course of a game but to kick them in the head just as they emerge into the new world just seems spiteful.
It doesn't seem spiteful to me, it seems lazy. The task of the Project is already so ridiculously hard that turning a few simple dials already allows the PD to run the game anywhere from "simple and fun" to "we've lost two team members and we haven't even gotten out of the bolthole!!" This seems like the writers didn't want to challenge themselves to create a reasonable challenge and so just tossed in an unreasonable challenge that was easier to write.

And that is probably unfair too. Professional writers need to produce, and can never spend all the time a project really deserves. It may be unfair to blame them for flaws (even ones obvious to me) that occurred because they had X hours to produce the game and couldn't fit a serious analysis of this idea into that time.

But don't do it.