View Single Post
Old 09-19-2019, 10:51 AM
Registered Registrant

I'm pretty much of the same opinion as you Raellus, I haven't seen anything from the Saudi's that leads me to believe they'll be the victors. I don't know what it's like now but in the past they often hired foreigners to serve as officers or technical personnel apparently because they couldn't get enough of their own people to join the military or those that did, didn't have the education needed for the roles.

When you see the Saudis wasting their Abrams MBTs because they didn't bother to follow common sense let alone good doctrine and deployed them without any infantry support, you start to question just how good (i.e. bad) the Saudi military is, particularly their leadership and doctrine.
When you hear stories of the Saudi's paying Sudanese families to send their children to fight against the Houthis, you start to question just who can lay claim to any moral highground in any conflict involving Saudi Arabia and their neighbours.

As for the Iranians, as you mentioned, they've been engaged in conflicts for several decades. They have combat experience and it seems a strong national imperative to have a strong & capable military (compared to their neighbours).
As I originally said, I don't think any Saudi F-15 versus Iranian F-14 would be a good test of which aircraft is better. I tend to think the Iranians actually have the better pilots and pilot experience is going to be worth much more than the machine they're flying in this example.

Last edited by StainlessSteelCynic; 09-19-2019 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling correction