View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 06:23 AM

Colombia, historically and geographically, would sort of tend to naturally fade towards city-states, I suspect. Don't know that they'd catch much nuclear attention, though neighboring Venezuela probably gets rocked pretty hard a couple times to get its fuel reserves offline. I'd guess Cuba ratchets up their support for the FARC (and all other communist guerrilla types in Cent/South America) to try and tie down US forces and aid.

Once the world economy takes a header, most of South America probably falls back into caudillo sort of warlordism and feudalism, with various rival generals and presidents-for-life and such doing the usual sort of T2K stuff. I don't think Colombia has a programmed implosion built into its economy like Brazil (which has a huge agricultural sector, but is a major net importer of basic foodstuffs since their agriculture is mostly about cash crops catering to US/European markets), so they might ride out the collapse smoother than elsewhere on the continent.

Alternately, if Colombia held together maybe their situation is relatively secure enough that they've got an expeditionary in Panama helping the US garrison hold the canal (and likely repair whatever damage it suffered during the war).