View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdusk View Post
I'm not a firearms owner/user, although i have spent some nights out shooting rabbits and foxes. So while i come from very much a begginer backgroud, I have a thought on all the statements about accuracy that appear in any "best rifle/pistal etc" thread.

Lets say a person/PC who has an ingame/real life shooting skill of 85% accuracy takes any rifle onto a range, sites it in, and for the most part I think that person/pc would make between 83 and 87% of their shots. With the variation from 85% being the accuracy +/- of the rifle. I think the variation would be small.

But with all that said, i dont think much of the above counts "in battle" or "under fire", where the conditions are just so different. No sighting in, firing quickly (if at all), moving targets, cramped shooting postion etc ...

I think our 85% shooter above would see his hits drop dramatically.

All i'm saying is, from my non-shooting background, is that a rifles shooting accuracy on a range is not the most important factor "in battle". I think other qualities would be higher on my list (like how comfortable any rifle/pistal is in terms of weight, length, reliability etc).

it depends a bit on the way you marksmans mind works. i know people that can barely qualify on the range, but put a bit of stress on them and they suddenly can't miss.(i still wanna find a way to get this combat ability to translate to more garrison concerns though)
the best course of action when all is against you is to slow down and think critically about the situation. this way you are not blindly rushing into an ambush and your mind is doing something useful rather than getting you killed.