View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 04:00 AM

I’ve run two campaigns of Twilight: 2000 as GM. When I began the first one (more than ten years ago), the only available info I had was the included in the v2.2 box. I and another friend joined the money to buy it. He began the classical “Good luck, you’re in your own campaign” that I enjoyed with great intensity. And then I decided to begin my own campaign from “the other side of the hill”. So, my players were a varied group of Warsaw Pact characters in full retreat at the beginning of the NATO push in northern Poland. Taking all the info from the Poland map in the “yellow book”, I conceived a campaign where all of them were hastily got together into the remnants of a Soviet division, designated by the high command to be sacrificed in a desperate maneuver to delay the NATO advance. Against all the odds, the Soviet unit held its position and accomplished the mission gaining the needed time for the Warsaw Pact offensive. Because the charismatic general of the division where the characters were serving was a strong defender of faction that desires the end of the hostilities in Europe, the Soviet High Command decided no to help the unit to retreat to a better position and let the enemy to put an end to the problematic general and his division. Then the division became something similar to a military republic, declaring its independence of the Warsaw Pact Command and the characters played the vital role to establish contact with other rogue units or even the enemy NATO units, performing recon missions to help the division to look for a potential “feud” and retreat to it. They became the bodyguards and the trusted eyes their charismatic general. All out of the canon, totally unknown for me at the moment.

In my current campaign, I have chosen to begin with my players being members of the 5th ID in the beginning of the last offensive. One of the groups (two groups are playing simultaneously the same campaign) is novice and I preferred this initial point to include them in a military structure, before letting them “at their own” after the battle of Kalisz. Their assigned missions follow, step by step, the advance of the 5th ID as described in “Escape from Kalisz”. My only (and I think important) variation is that I’ve considered the morale status of the units implied in the offensive extremely low. I have added an increasing number of desertions and the thought about futility of perpetuate the war is floating in each gaming session. I imagined that the idea of a new offensive among the battered veterans that have managed to survive until now would be as bucket of cold water. So I keep my eyes wide open, just in case they decided to desert during the offensive if they judge that they have more chances to survive “at their own”.