View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 02:17 AM

I was thinking more in the European theater and particularly in Germany, tough other setups are possible. Would France be able to annex a significant part of the territories at the other side of the Rhin without an uprising from Germany population or the opposition of the remnants of the German Army? In the v2.2 timeline, German government “has ceased to exist” and the area 50Km east of the Rhin “is either devastated or in anarchy”. These territories could be the places where the campaign would start, still without the need to deal with the military cantonments of former NATO units. The way to seize these first areas would set the pace for the future. If word spreads that France is providing things like safety, medical care and resources, more territories would see a French intervention as a hope, instead of as a conquest. After all, the average German citizen in the 2000 would be struggling to survive in a completely devastated country. In the best of the cases her/she would live in an isolated or independent area near Switzerland.

And I’ve just remembered the thread about propaganda. This would be one of the few cases where I think that propaganda would have any chance work in the Twilight:2000 setup. The GM must choose the way that the French government conceives all the operation and the group of characters must be well aware about the directives of the French government. If they are smart enough, they will present France as the only organized entity that can assume the lost functions of a central government. They will emphasize the terrible disorganization and helplessness of the rest of German territory and spread the word (for sure, true in some cases) about conflicts erupted between civilians and soldiers in the cantonment areas. Even the group can try to incite this kind of conflicts to gain some local advantage. And, above all, try to keep national differences between France and Germany at minimum. These special contact groups where the characters would be integrated must be ready answer some embarrassing questions from the German population. They can try to present the war as a terrible error where France has not been involved and that European reconstruction can be a common task done by Europeans, now that US is evacuating its units from Europe. I think that the France of Twilight would see a great opportunity to exclude the US from any immediate influence in Central Europe.