View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 01:02 PM

About a post-apocalyptic french government (especially one which would have escaped almost intact), I would mostly say nationalistic and looking back to some kind of old time "Grandeur".

Historical claims would be plenty and probably drawn from a kind of fantasy mix combining Carlus Magnus, Louis XIV and Napoleon I. I would also expect the French to drive to Rome and try to control the Pope again. May be by garrisoning Rome or may be by bringing him back to Avignon as in the Middle Ages.

As the navy would be the most powerful one left, you can expect the French to close the Mediterranean to most shipping.

They also would be very active at the diplomatic level, being involved in Quebec, probably supporting an independent scotland, helping Serbia, being involved in Poland and czecoslovakia, present in Africa and in the Middle East. It would probably avoid Russia, however. One Berezina in a country's history is enough. Iberia might be left alone also except may be for Catalonia, Navarra and the Basque country.

Don't forget also that they might be the only country to retain some kind of space capability.

On the bright side, I would expect the French to be sincere in their will to help the German population but with little consideration for their own culture and free will. After all we are the country of Freedom and Liberty . We also all know (the French I mean) that if we don't have oil, at least we have ideas (right but what about the quality of these ideas ). I would also expect the French government to put heavy taxes everywhere whenever possible (I still don't know why but taxes seem to be our main solution to solve problems ).