View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 10:38 AM

Good points all about Disney; the chief issue with that is that Disney got a dusting of fallout - I'm not up on my disaster physics, how long would it remain "hot"?

Disney itself is honeycombed with underground tunnels, and in addition to those are underground op-centers, a small medical facility and it provides most of its own power - Disney is largely off the Orange/Osceola grid thanks to extensive power generation through trash burning. That makes it a valuable asset. Some of the computer systems may well have survived the EMP.

The parks themselves are actually nice fortresses (and I'm not talking Cinderalla's castle either). They're double fenced, surrounded by very inhospitable marshes and swamps, some areas are flat out walled off, and entry and other access can be controlled pretty easily.

The park does a brisk business on holidays and actually sees park attendance go up during times of crisis (9/11 and it's impact on travel being the exception): lots of folks want to just get away from it all. However everyone panicked and got the hell out of Dodge once fallout warnings were issued. Most of the military guests (and there were some, but few) at Shades of Green would have tried to get back to their duty posts or back to families elsewhere, so I can't see a very large contingent (more than a token few) staying in the Orlando area.

Arnold Palmer hospital is nearby to Disney (actually closer to Orlando), but may have been stripped by Osceola County and looters.

I'm not up on my train knowledge so I'm not sure how feasible it would be to extend train tracks out to the park. The Monorails would of course be toast.