View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
I went for V1. It’s the classic timeline that I have known for over thirty years and other than the instances where I’ve played in games with a home brew near future time line V1 is the timeline that I’ve always used. To be honest it’s only in the last couple of weeks that I’ve heard anyone raise question marks about its plausibility - I’m not discounting what our German members have said, but for me V1 is probably the least implausible (with the caveat that I’ve only briefly read V4 at this stage).
I think all of them can be challenged in regards to plausibility - multiple plot points sound far-fetched at times. But, in looking at actual past events, it becomes very clear that most nations really don't want conflict bigger than a skirmish. Russian-brokered peace between Azerbaijan and Armenia. Saudi-brokered ceasefire in Yemen. India and China fighting at their border. Multiple coups throughout Africa, but ceasefires and peaceful endings as well.

Lots of smoldering going on, but no real desires for open fighting involving declarations of war and invasions of territory. It may very well be that the COVID pandemic has tempered governments (or that they've been forced to be more isolationist).

Some what-ifs that could turn current events hot in a "Twilight:2025" future timeline include China conflicts in the South China Sea, Iran/Turkey/Syria conflicts over Kurdish militias and Syrian rebels resulting in invasions of Iraq or Iranian involvement in Venezuela, possibly Belarus/Russia movements involving Crimea/Ukraine and the Baltics.

The most unknowable is the middle east - Saudi, Turk, Iranian, Russian involvement in trying to bring peace to Syria - all while Saudi is meeting with Iran while also warming a bit to Israel but Turkey is slightly hostile to UAE over their warming of relations with Israel. While Israel skirmishes with Iran-backed Hamas in Gaza.