View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 09:19 AM

Paul wrote:

"The M-240E6 is not actually a cut-down M-240; it's a lot lighter because the receiver and some other parts are made from titanium alloy instead of steel."

240E6 definitely has had a lot more work done to it then just being chopped. I was just saying something could be could be made up along those lines.

Myself I would add a collapsing stock from the 249, shortened barrel and some sort of a forward grip. something like a para version of the 240.

As for the cut down m-79, I have seen several pictures of these weapons used in Vietnam. given reduced ranges it worked perfectly and was much easier to carry than the full sized M-79. I have ready they continued to use these even after the introduction of the XM-148 and later M203 (though the LRRP teams picked up on the use of the XM-148 pretty quick.)

From what I have read the wood stocked M-79's where coveted by the LRRP and SOG teams for making into cut downs. As Many of the M-79's in RVN had fiberglass stocks and weren't good for cutting down and reshaping into pistol grips.

Brother in Arms