View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 06:18 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAT View Post
My first tank section had IPM-1's and one day as we conducting drivers training we drove past a "new" tank park full of M-60's. Later asked what it was for and was told they were waiting to be moved to the range to be hard targets. That night we went back and "acquired" some extra parts for our firing system (I still have one of the "extra" firing pins).
Ahh, most units I've been in have a special depot for exactly that purpose -- we called it the "Can Point" (for cannibilization point). We not only got vehicle parts -- we got things like the Claymore mine bag I had to carry my toiletries to the latrine, an extra med bag to carry double the medical supplies or some extras to carry some med stuff I found in town (this was after I became a Combat Lifesaver), a light tarp for a ground sheet or as an improvised shelter, etc. We all loved to go to the Can Point; unfortunately, they weighed your vehicle afterwards, and the stuff came out of the Brigade budget; if you just went crazy instead of being selective about what you were taking, the you might get a visit from the Brigade XO or one of his minions...

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com