View Single Post
Old 02-21-2024, 04:59 PM

The Army also fielded a hovercraft in the 1960s, the Air Cushion Vehicle. Unlike newer hovercraft, it was armed with varying combinations of .50 machine guns, 7.62mm machine guns, 7.62mm miniguns, and 40mm grenade launchers. I've seen the sole survivor at Fort Eustis (there's also a surviving Navy PACV cousin in California).

I haven't used any in my campaigns because generally they're expensive, maintenance-heavy, and fragile, the latter two of which make them difficult for post-apocalyptic use (and the first of which makes it difficult to justify large numbers existing).

The actual Russian hovercraft of the time would have been the Gus, Lebed, Tsaplya, Aist, and Zubr LCACs. Gus had a crew of 6 and carried 25 troops, while Zubr has a crew of 31 and can carry three main battle tanks or up to 500 soldiers. AFAIK they never really went in for combat hovercraft in the style of the KvP-92, only landing craft that (other than Gus) had some armament for self-defense, ranging from a pair of 12.7mm machine guns in Lebed to a quartet of Strela launchers and a pair of 30mm autocannon and a pair of 140mm rocket launchers in Zubr.

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.