View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 03:37 AM

To continue a bit more on the thought of Sweden involving itself in Poland. It touches quite a few sensitive topics, and I will not argue what is right or wrong. The purpose is to give an insight into Swedish mentality, and how it could be used in a plausible way in the Twilight setting. A more cute, slightly politically incorrect way, to learn more about how we in Scandinavia is geared would be to look at the "Scandinavia and the World" web comic.

But to be able to weight my writing a bit, as most Swedish TW2k players (or at least those I have met) tend to be right wing voters; my political affiliation is to the Swedish left.

As I understand it, Poland is one of the most Religious countries in Europe, while Sweden is one of the least religious. If I recall, Poland is one of the few countries in Europe today where abortion is illegal. As many turn to religion during hard times, I would probably turn that up a notch or two. Sweden is on the forefront on the "pro-choice" side. So we have a collision course with religious factions.

Sweden's opinions on democracy, law and order would probably put it on collision course with the communists, criminals and warlords.

A lot of eastern Europe is strongly against homosexuality, Sweden is on the other end of the spectrum. So another point that can be used to raise the tension.

Considering websites like "God hates Sweden" and there was a senator a couple of decades ago who wanted to have an embargo against Sweden because we were a "communistic country that potentially could develop nuclear weapons"; I guess there would be quite a few Americans who would think Sweden is just yet another commie country trying to squash liberty and religion. Apparently, not everyone understand the difference between a Social democratic party and Soviet Union communism. While it would be a small minority, it might destabilize the US ranks, and possible desertions to join "free units that carries on the crusade."

So while I don't think Sweden would end up on a collision course with any NATO forces, I can definitely see them on a collision course with some former NATO soldiers.

Now, with legit group, I would assume a group supporting Swedish ideals of equality and democracy. But if I recall correctly, Castro talked a lot about free elections. So Sweden could be supporting the wrong faction.

So the proper tagline to Swedish intervention in Poland could very well be: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."