View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Resident Medic, Crazy Finn

For the Estonian scenario, I could buy that, though I'd believe, there has been some action along (and across) the Fenno-Soviet border. If it has not been a active war, it has been Special Forces type operations on both sides. For the Soviets the troops have been Spetznas while for the Finns, they have probably been either sissi (ranger), laskuvarjojääkäri (airborne; technically same as the sissi, except they are inserted by parachute drops or helicopters) or taistelusukeltaja (combat diver) operations.

Finns would probably, as the doctrine dictates, concentrate on mining the Gulf of Finland in places the Finnish Coastal Artillery can not get firing solutions to and use the missile boats to make quick strikes from their hiding places inside the archipelago. The mining operations would probably be extended to the Estonian coast as well, making it difficult, if not impossible for the Soviet Baltic Fleet to conduct a landing operation behind the Estonian lines. The Finnish Airforce would extend the effected area across the Gulf of Finland as well, especially if reinforced by Swedish Royal Airforce in this operation. Of course, airborne operations would be continued only to the point, where there would be enough fuel to launch one final strike in case of an emergency. Same goes for most naval vessels.

The Gulf of Bothnia would be kept open for commercial traffic as long as possible, as the naval route is by far the easiest when Finland is concerned. The network of underwater listening stations and observation posts on islands gives a good chance for detecting and tracking the enemy naval forces.

As an anecdote, a person I know was serving in coastal artillery as a sensor operator during his conscript service and he spotted a strange sounding ship on the underwater system. He begun checking the timetables (there's several ferries going back and forth between Finland and Sweden daily), managed to find the ship there and called the to check their props once they reached the harbor in Turku. They did - there was a huge chunk of metal missing fromone of them, which could have eventually caused the blade to break off and great deal of damage to the powertrain. The guy received a couple extra days of leave for that.

The military co-operation between Finns and Estonians is not a new thing as I think I wrote in that pas history-thread of mine. It existed prior to WWII, but the Soviet Union invaded Estonia very early and the co-operation ended before it had gotten up to speed. Had it done that, the Soviets would have had great difficulties navigating through the Gulf of Finland, as they would have been subjected to the fire of heavy coastal artillery batteries on both sides, designed with overlapping fields of fire and a communications cable running across at the bottom of the gulf, giving the batteries the advantage of one single forward observer calling the fire. This would have been augmented by minefields, submarines and the two Finnish Coastal Defence Ships Väinämöinen and Ilmarinen with their 10" batteries.
"Listen to me, nugget, and listen good. Don't go poppin' your head out like that, unless you want it shot off. And if you do get it shot off, make sure you're dead, because if you ain't, guess who's gotta drag your sorry ass off the field? Were short on everything, so the only painkiller I have comes in 9mm doses. Now get the hell out of my foxhole!" - an unknown medic somewhere, 2013.