View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 06:21 PM

Over the last 10-15 years there have been a significant number of M35 series vehicles on the US surplus market...nowadays I'm seeing a number of them being surplussed out from second or third owners...in these cases state entities (Wisconsin in particular).

A friend has a 1952? M211 that came...of all things...from his local High School's bus garage where it was used as a snow plow truck for a number of years, The engine, transmission, and steering are all 1990's GMC bus parts.

Normally I see M35 series vehicles being used as brush or off road fire trucks with a semi portable fire apparatus. When they get done with them, they remove the fire apparatus from the bed and auction the truck off.

I even see a Kaiser M715 from time to time come up this way, although Chevy CUCV's and Dodge M880's (less so) are more common.

I believe many M151's were torch cut to destroy them due to the bad rap they got from rollovers rather than sold surplus in numbers...you see original/restored M151's but they aren't very common. At times it is easier to find a surplus HMMWV for sale.

There is a place 30 mile NW of here that does armored civillian vehicles, so a place like that can be an option too. If anything, I would thing the experience of the staff remaining there would vbe almost invaluable.

-Dave