View Single Post
Old 12-31-2023, 08:57 PM

Trans Pecos area map update

Stylistically, trying to keep a v1 map style. Unfortunately, unlike Europe where, in my experience at least, open ground = agriculture land, that's not the case in West Texas which is predominately hills, mountains, or desert plains, so there's a lot more yellow and brown than the v1 GDW color fold out maps. Where the color is white is closer to traditional agricultural or grasslands.

I actually have the hills for New Mexico largely filled in, but forgot to turn them back on for the export, but the hills & mountains don't suddenly stop at the Texas border.

The grey counties to the east = the parts of Texas I haven't filled in yet.

In canon games terms, most of Trans Pecos is either controlled by the Constitutionales faction of Mexican army (a cantonment running roughly east to Van Horn in the south, and Carlsbad, NM to the north and to Deming, NM in the west, controlling the prime agriculture land in the area), or effectively independent or abandoned. Towns like Marfa, Alpine, Fort Davis would have been occupied briefly by recon elements of the Mexican military during the initial invasion, but they are extremely logistically isolated and were abandoned early in 1999 when Mexican logistics collapsed. The vast majority of the pre-war American population is either dead, or driven out. The exception would be isolated ranches or homesteads too far and remote to be attractive to the army or marauders. (In real life) Once you get 20 miles east of El Paso, this part of Texas is one of the poorer and least populated areas in the continental United States. The Twilight War would not have improved things in that regard.