View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 12:00 PM

In Operation Fredric I had only a battery of Paladin in the Red Devils. However I did add some M101 towed howitizers to the division. Why? They are basically 'obolete' yet to my understandin there are many still in storage. Also the 105 howitzer rounds are easier to 'reload' than the 155. They actually have a brass casing for the powder charge. They can be converted to horse drawn MUCH easier than the bigger guns. IIRC the divion got between 12-18 of the guns. I would say they came with the 'last' resupply. There was 'adequate' munitions for them as well, though not enough for unlimited use. There have ALWAYS been limited artillery support, even in WW2 and Korea. Though there are alot of guns, once they fire they displace, so a good chunk are always on the move in a fluid battle field. 'Nam was different as the guns all worked from firebases.

As for direct fire, the 105 is better IMO with a wider selection of munitions. The beehive being particularly good, or canister (there is a difference Victoria). I don't think the 105 tank rounds could be fired from the howitzer/guns which is really too bad IMO.

Nuff rambling.. gotta get back to unpacking.