View Single Post
Old 05-01-2020, 01:56 AM
Registered Registrant

In an effort to refresh my hazy recollections, I spoke to one of the guys I joined the unit with and yes the passage of time does dull my memory far too much!
The inside section of the door was facing outwards, as in, the inner section was shot up. I believe the inner part of the door is steel and not the aluminium alloy armour plate of the outer hull. Wish I had taken a damned photograph of it now.
I thought it was the outer section but my mate has said it was the inner section - his recollection makes more sense.

Plus, they didn't just shoot it with 7.62x51, they also gunned it up with the .30cal L3 MGs (British version of the Browning M1919) that are normal armament on our M113A1) so what I thought were 7.62NATO holes are just as likely to have been .30-06. Not that that makes any difference in regard to the armour plate which a web search states for the M113A3, the armour can withstand up to 14.5mm (although I don't think there's that much difference between the armour on the A1 and the A3.)
He's pretty sure there were no penetrations of the outer section.

Note:
For anyone not familiar with the M113, the crew door in the rear ramp is a two piece affair with the outer section made of armour plate and the inner section made to withstand troopies pounding on it has they disembark when the ramp is down.
This photo from Vietnam shows what I mean.