View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespers War View Post
A mix-and-match firearm this time, the LeMat Carbine. Yes, the carbine, not the revolver. Well, sort of the revolver...it's complicated.

You see, Doctor Colonel Jean Alexandre LeMat wanted to produce long arms in addition to his 9-shot revolvers with shotgun goodness in the center. So he produced 9-shot revolving carbines with either shotgun or rifle goodness in the center. Around 200 of these were made, and the handful of survivors vary in caliber for both the central barrel and the surrounding revolver. All have 20" barrels and I estimate the weight at 4.5 kilograms (seriously, if anyone can find an actual weight, I'd appreciate it, because Google is failing me on that point of research).

Revolver options:
Original (10.668x47mmBP Conical)
Dam 2, Pen Nil, Ammo 9i, ROF SAR, Bulk 6, SS 1, Rng 74
Pinfire (11mm French Ordnance)
Dam 2, Pen Nil, Ammo 9R, ROF SAR, Bulk 6, SS 1, Rng 59

Center options:
.56 rifled (14.224x31mmBP Conical)
Dam 3, Pen Nil, Ammo 1i, ROF SAR, Bulk 6, SS 3, Rng 98
.58 rifled (14.732x31mmBP Conical)
Dam 3, Pen Nil, Ammo 1i, ROF SAR, Bulk 6, SS 3, Rng 102
20 gauge shotgun
Dam 9 (close)/1x11 (medium), Pen Nil, Ammo 1i, ROF SAR, Bulk 6, SS 1, Rng 12

The powder charge is probably a little high for the original revolver load (it's roughly 63 grains), but I was trying to maximize range. The .56 rifled is a 74 grain load and .58 rifled is a 79 grain load. Again, they were calculated to maximize range using FF&S.

The 9i for reload on the first option is because it's a lead bullet loaded over loose powder, so it's slower to reload than the self-contained pinfire cartridges. The shotgun range I'm not 100% sure on, because I'm terrible at using FF&S to generate shotgun stats. For the shotgun beyond close range, treat it as a 5-round burst and two 3-round bursts.

While the carbine was apparently made into the centerfire era, I haven't seen any records of what calibers were manufactured, and I'm not sure any of them are among the 18 known survivors.
I know you do good work... but these formulas in FF&S and WTG are STILL driving me crazy. Here are weapons with a fairly low sectional density and TERRIBLE Ballistic Coefficient being driven by [low velocity] BLACK POWDER to boot. Yet when I even run the formulas you get SHORT RANGES around a hundred meters in a game where high-velocity smokeless powder loads with excellent Ballistic Coefficients are hitting 75m to 80m max. The Range formula seems off by at least 1/3 too much. I noticed this in your entries on the Primitive Weapons Thread too. I think the Forum needs to brainstorm the modification of those formulas.