View Single Post
Old 08-19-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespers War View Post
I think the problem is with smokeless more than BP. The Springfield Model 1855 rifle-musket was noted to be effective to 500 meters and deadly to 1 kilometer, firing 14.7x23.5mm BP Conical (.58 with 60 grains of powder) from a 101.6 cm barrel. Arguably the range should be around 125 so that it has 125/250/500/1000 as its range bands, using long as effective range and extreme as the range at which it can (with major luck) inflict casualties. Actual calculated range is 89, which is 28.8% low. I know from tests a while back that the formulas really have problems with the Whitworth, which hit targets at 1.8 kilometers in trials.

The GDW rules also don't have a good way to simulate the trajectory problems of black powder that required better range estimation than with high-velocity small-caliber smokeless powder. Black powder rifles had plenty of accurate range, but they needed accurate range estimation to be of any use, and that's something that could probably use a house rule.

I think the problem for the LeMat specifically is that I went for the powder charge that maximized range, which is almost certainly heavier than what was used, since the .58 BP exceeds the service charge for the rifle-musket. I don't know what charges were actually used, and lighter charges would reduce range.
GDW went with what is termed "practical accuracy" which is what the average shooter could pull off "in the field." What you are modeling would be called "mechanical accuracy" or "benchrested accuracy" for expert shooter or shooters using controlled conditions. My issue with changing the four range band model of RAW is that you will break the practical accuracy of both pistols and SMGs if you change the formula to properly address the maximum "mechanical" or benchrested range of rifles using the four range bands.

I agree with you that GDW needed to take into account the effective long-ranged accuracy but I think they just needed to add one more Range Band. The Maximum Effective Range band. This would allow those spectacular shots that are legendary today. I also agree with optics, bipods, and tripods adding to the Base Range. I just think they didn't go far enough with scopes. Why do I add another Range Band? Just look at what happens with the M16A2

Short Range = 55m, Snap Shot: Average (Skill), Aimed Shot: Easy (Skillx2)
Medium Range = 110m, Snap Shot: Difficult (1/2Skill), Aimed Shot: Average
Long Range = 220m, Snap Shot: Formidible (1/4Skill), Aimed Shot: Difficult
Extreme Range = 440m, Snap Shot: Impossible (1/10Skill), Aimed Shot: Formidable

And finally my Maximum Effective Range...
Maximum Effective Range = 880m, Snap Shot: NO, Aimed Shot: Impossible

This allows that impressive one in a million shooter WITHOUT compromising the fairly accurate practical accuracy in the RAW game. It also allows for the positive effects of things like optics and bipods with an easy to apply mechanical advantage by simply adding range.