Thread: Chicago
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Chicago

I never understood how Chicago could be ignored to such a large degree in the canon games. Given the fact that the game was published out of Bloomington Il (only 100 miles away) I cannot blame it entirely on "coastal thinking".

The charred thread is what made me think of this. After the Great Chicago fire a very conscious effort was made to make Chicago as conflagration resistant as possible. Mandatory firebreaks, long stretches of parks, river/canal and highway barriers, strict building codes and low population density all support Chicago being more fire resistant than most cities.

Chicago IMHO should have been the new capital post TDM. It has fantastic river and great lake access. It had the strongest Military unit in the continental United States in the 49th Armored Division. It was the railway center of the US, is near massive coal reserves, near productive oil fields, at the edge of the most productive agricultural lands in the world as well as bordering the largest freshwater reserve in the world. Illinois also has the highest percentage of electrical power generated by nuclear energy of any state at 50%.

We had a nice Chicago based thread on the old board (started by DeaconR I believe) so I thought it might be time to start another.

What are your thoughts on Chicago's status in the T2k world.

Last edited by kato13; 11-17-2008 at 10:15 AM.