View Single Post
Old 02-28-2024, 08:16 AM

I like this concept. But I just had to comment about the part that made me smiled, the listing of x-ray film in the refrigerated GSSPs. Digital x-ray was already main stream by the mid 1990's and film quickly went the way of the dodo.

There were a couple of big factors here. Silver being an environmental pollutant was being enforced with lower allowable limits. This lead many efforts to remove silver from as many processes as possible. X-ray and graphics arts film both quickly found ways to remove silver. X-ray with modified digital camera technology and graphic arts with thermal photopolymers. I watched this personally as my dad was a radiological technologist. Digital x-ray machines quickly replaced all the traditional machines in just a few years as any new machines added were digital and replacements for retire machines were also digital. This included portables. I worked in the graphic arts field and that transition was almost a blink of an eye, taking not more than 5 years to become the standard.

Since Omnicron Base's construction was finished in 1994, any equipment added would have likely been digital unless they wanted to stick with the cheaper, more failure prone and higher radiation exposure of the film based machines they could pick up on the secondary markets.

Last edited by mmartin798; 02-28-2024 at 08:32 AM.