View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 07:29 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

I can also see units being merged and combined with units becoming composite. Regiments of a Division may merge along with surplus support personel being added to the mix. So, maybe a Division would have a understrengthed Brigade in reality, and surplus officers in the HQ units and such would be turned into platoon and company commanders. Same with companies and platoons mustering a few men, they would be merged to fill the ranks of other platoons and companies and the surplus officers as well will be used to fill vacant slots in companies as platoon and company commanders.

Maybe a Company would end up with three platoons or even 2 platoons and a HQ element with a company comander and 2 Lts or even a Warrant OFficers of Senior or Staff NCO commander the platoons, heck I have been in such units where our platoon comander was a master Sgt, a Gunny or even a Warrant Officer. Hell I as a Lance Cpl was acting platoon comander for a month.

I am thinking the amount of officers a unit would get would also be determined on the size. An example, maybe a company would have one or two officers and doing away with the platoons having maybe four squad sized elements each comanded by a Sgt.