View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaf_777 View Post
Why do they need to reactivated? Most of the weapons on the Lider Class Destroyer are missiles what are the big anti ships guns going to do? How much do think its going to cost to make all the ammo? Is there even a ship is the US Navy right now that can replenish a battleship at sea?

I would also like to point out that in 2013, Huntington Ingalls Industries revived the arsenal ship idea when it proposed a Flight II version of the LPD-17 hull with a variant carrying up to 288 VLS cells for the ballistic missile defense and precision strike missions and from 2002 to 2008, the U.S. Navy modified the four oldest Ohio-class submarines into cruise missile submarines. The conversion was achieved by installing vertical launching systems (VLS) in a multiple all-up-round canister (MAC) configuration in 22 of the 24 missile tubes, replacing one Trident missile with 7 smaller Tomahawk cruise missiles. The 2 remaining tubes were converted to lockout chambers for use by special forces personnel. This gave each converted submarine the capability to carry up to 154 Tomahawks. The large diameter tubes can also be modified to carry and launch other payloads, such as UAVs or UUVs.

I also doubt weather Russia will actually build all 12 planed Lider Class.

They might want to do it for the same reason they reactivated them back in the 1980's. Prestige and to show who has the biggest!!!

Frankly I don't think it would be possible to even reactivate any of them any more for the reasons you stated and a few others. But if they really wanted to do it then maybe they could bring back the Wisconsin.

I also doubt that Russia will build 12 Lider Class destroyers. Who calls a 20,000 ton warship a destroyer? Russia also has plans to build up to six nuclear powered aircraft carriers as big or even bigger than a Ford Class carrier, but Russia has no shipyard than can build them as the Soviet shipyard that built the Kuznetsov is in the Ukraine. So if you ask me the Russians will maybe build four Lider Class ships, maybe one for each fleet or split between the Northern and Pacific fleets.