View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 12:04 AM

I know in both V1 and V2 rules they mention that the players should keep a running tally themselves each session on what skills they used and if there was a success. Such as putting a check mark next to them or in your session note book, list that you used a certain skill or even attempted to use a certain skill.

In my experience actually at a table and not doing PbP, I have had GMs award skill points for successful critical rolls on skill usage. As well as giving us skill points when we role played well, such as describing in some detail how we used a skill to achieve an action. Our GM explained that if you could talk through all the actions of a scene like you are explaining a scene from a TV show or movie complete with involving the 5 senses some how or it just sounds right, then we could get a skill point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post

Another way to improve skill levels through training, but I find the v2.2 rules concerning same to be rather convoluted.

How do you handle XP and skill progression in your campaign?

-
I mentioned in your other thread how I experience skill improvement through training. The short version is that our GM would allow us to seek training if we were in a town for a while and identified someone that had a skill we wanted to improve or gain. We then had to roll every in game day that we were there, a 1D100 with a 50% or better on that roll to gain instruction. But contrary to how the rules are written, our GM mandated that to gain a new skill we had to be in the area for at least a month. That was to best represent how a novice/apprentice would learn off a journeyman or master. Our GM always had some index cards of about 5-8 with a bare bones set of NPCs that could fill in as trainers in a village if the players ask for one in the village. It was a luck of the draw, whether we received a journeyman or a master to train from in that specific village. The only major thing that seemed to differ from them was their instruction level and their motivation draw as to why they would provide training.

If we were being trained by someone in our party to improve a skill. We used the rules as written in V2.0. They aren't hard to understand. If you stick to the letter of the book, then a game day is broke down in to 6 different event cycles of about 4 hours per period. So you want to be trained in a new skill, say gunsmith, there had to someone in the party with the skill and with Instruction at average level. Then you have to announce to the GM, that your player wants to learn gunsmith from this other player and they have to spend one period per day, for seven total days doing this action. Then you have to roll as if you were attempting the skill for a success. If the student rolls a success then both the student and the instructor gain a skill point in that skill.

Here it is sort of simplified and broken out into some steps.
  • Announce you want a skill and who will provide training
  • Spend one period out an in game day (i.e the time in the game not real time) studying and being instructed
  • After 7 days roll as if you are trying to use that skill.
  • Success in the roll, then student and instructor gain a skill point

The biggest thing is that the players and GM have to be honest with the time rules in the game. Which we always found a pain on how to accurately game out those 4 hour periods without it all blending together. The closest we every got was that our GM after resetting our campaign once, wanted to stick to the time rules. Had a home made flip counter with a 1 through 6 on it. Then would announce "Its Period 1 this is 0001 to 0400, what do you all do". Which seemed to work for a bit till we fell off the bandwagon. After which our GM would just announce while we were in a rest period after moving for a while, if there was house keeping we wanted to do and if anyone wanted to get training. At which every session, unless our GM said in session that a new game day occurred, if training occurred after the session then we could roll off to gain a skill.

The biggest thing, is knowing how to be judicious in skill point release if you are GM. I want to say even the rules for both V1 and V2 mention that, just don't pass them out willy nilly. Make the players earn them.