View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusilier
I would imagine Canada's biggest problem would be its reluctance to be a brutal opponent. I hesitate to use the word 'soft' to describe them. They won't bomb the hell out of anything except as a last resort. Limited amount of firepower and damage - use only what you need to get the mission done. While taking pains to ensure a low civilian casualty rate is a good thing, I'd image this might also be also a problem in dealing with guerrillas/insurgents. I mean on an exaggerated scale this would be similar to the ills the US is facing in Iraq. Course the flip side is when they are feeding you and trying not to kill you, you win over people.
Just some opinions.
I understand (an at a point agree) with this. The same could be said about the bast majority of European countries in the present day. But, in my opinion, everything would be different if considered some of the Twilight setups. For example, in the present day a lot of European armies are taking part in "humanitarian" missions out of their frontiers, but it's easy to see that the public pressure against each government would be nearly unbearable when facing to a few (and of course, lamentably) losses. "Bring the boys back home" would be the immediate slogan. And the same could be said about what the public could perceive as the use of "extreme force". But, on the other hand, we have make the war to each other enthusiastically for centuries, sometimes with horrifying losses when taking into account the demographics of some countries. And, after all, the return to this state of things is the Twilight world. The valor of an human life would not be the same. Nor the population of a country would have the same ability to access the real information about the losses in lives of soldiers or about the operations the soldiers are developing and their consecuences. Mmmm... perhaps I'm going a little OT here.

Anyway, this thread is becoming very interesting. You've forced me to take a look on the map of US, looking for Vermont.