View Single Post
Old 03-30-2022, 03:41 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
I'd love to see a deal between the Baltics and Sweden for Grippens. Not only is it a newer, arguably more capable (and probably cheaper) alternative, it would bind Sweden closer to NATO.
-
Two thoughts on the Swede's current level of involvement!

1) Poland and Sweden seem to have reached some level of agreement regarding ELINT coverage of the war. Over the past several weeks the Swedish Air Force has, according to flight tracking websites, been flying ELINT missions over the Baltic west of the Baltic states. In the last week or so those flights have shifted to over eastern Poland, where they are flying alongside American and British RC-135s, NATO E-3s and Italian ELINT aircraft. I haven't done any reading as to if anything has been announced, but since they have their transponders on obviously they don't object to the whole world knowing. (The tactical aircraft, on the other hand, do not have theirs on... usually).

2) During the Cold War Sweden maintained stocks of Viggen fighter-bombers at northeastern Swedish airfields in a pretty much ready to fly condition. These aircraft were earmarked for the Finnish Air Force, which the Russians limited the number (and quality) of airframes they could possess.

I would not be surprised if Sweden and Finland, one or both, are NATO members in 18 months. The timing seems tricky to me... on the one hand, no better time than the present when public opinion is very pro-NATO and the Russian military is so tied down in Ukraine that there are likely to be few serious repurcussions from Putin. On the other hand, things are not going well for Putin and I fear the escalation he may resort to if he feels even more backed into a corner.

Just my amateur rambling thoughts...
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...