View Single Post
Old 05-10-2022, 02:18 AM

Character creation and T2K timeline are the two things i care about the least. I find both uninteresting, easy to house rule yourself to get the result you want and entirely personal.

I first got into RPGs back in the late 70's (?!). My cousin, who i used to see 3 or 4 times a year, used to Ref while i played. I first remember playing Top Secret. He always made me roll up a rookie character. After a few games, i got sick of it though. I kept dieing and could never grow my PC. But he was relentless in me starting as a rookie PC.

Same thing happened when we moved on to James Bond, which is still one of the best game systems i've seen. My rookie taking on single or multiple "double 0" NPCs. By then i was a bit older and wiser. Had read the rules myself, and knew there was a way to make a "00" character using the rule book.

But personally, i choose or let my players decide what their character is, then just reflect the numbers on the character sheet. No rolling, very little editing, no link back to the rule book. Just make up whatever character you want. Its quicker, and gets the Ref and player into the game of their choice straight away.

Good luck running your characters through their first few encounters. I'm close to writing up my own adventure in the "Post Apocalypse Creative writing" thread. Or maybe i'll just post the encounters in my own thread here. My character, mission, random encounters and how i've interpreted the V4.0 rules.